Entrance / Residence Card and Bank Account Information’s for Erasmus+ and Erasmus Mundus


You have 3 days after your arrival to go to Portuguese Immigration Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, SEF), which  is the administrative body responsible for issuing entrance or residence permits. It's open on working days, hours: 9.00 - 16. 30 (break: 12.00-14.00)

Telefone: +351 258 824 375+351 258 824 375 Fax: +351 258 828 181
Address: Rua José Espregueira, 145, 4900-459 VIANA DO CASTELO, Portugal

The residence card (Autorização de Residência) is necessary for anyone who moves to Portugal, or for anyone who is planning to stay for longer than six months. This includes those who work, the self-employed, students, those intending to live off savings, retired people and family members of any of the above.

First of all you have to go to International office of the IPVC to take Declaration for proving your status of Erasmus+ or Erasmus Mundus student, to take to SEF and to the bank to open an account and to financial office to take fiscal number.

Necessary Documents

When applying for a residency permit the following documents must be supplied:

  • Application Form
  • Valid passport plus one photocopy
  • Two identical recent, color passport photos
  • Fiscal ID number
  • Declaration (which one you took from International office)
  • A fee (around 130 EUR for 1 year)

The residence permit takes a few weeks to process and once issued bears the person's photograph and signature. Once the residency card has been issued it must be carried at all times for possible inspection.

Temporary permits are valid for one year and are renewable for two-year periods. Applications to renew a permit must be sent 30 days before the expiry date.

 Updated 05.08.2016